mandag 10. desember 2018

Adventcalendar: Dec. 10th - Candy

Dec. 10th - Candy - Proverbs 16:24

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
Sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."


There is just something special about Christmas candy!  The smiles and giggles its sweetness brings out in the young as well as the old is part of the joy of Christmas.
There is something else that brings a sweetness to the lives of others though and that is encouragement - "pleasant words."  

My husband often references a quote by author Mark Twain:
"I can live for two months on a good compliment."

Our words matter. They either build others up or tear them down. They are able to both soothe and scar. Another Bible verse that encourages pleasant words is found in Ephesians 4:29 -
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."

Do our words build others up in their need of the moment and bring grace to those who hear? Both our words and actions affect those around us.

A day turned around

Just a few weeks ago I was in a long line to buy breakfast at the local grocery store.  I was basically still in what I slept in with crazy hair! A local police officer, whom I know from the kids' school, was eating breakfast with a friend, and I waved and smiled when I saw him. It was one of those days. I was late getting the kids to school, I had a million things to do and I was not in the mood for any of it. This officer walked up to the register, greeted me and proceeded to pay for my breakfast. You guys! I couldn't believe it! He made my day! I walked to my car and just sat, thinking of what had just happened. And there, I decided that my life is good. Yes, I didn't feel like doing any of the tasks I needed to do, but at least I am able to when so many cannot. All it took was a sweet officer to show me that by his kind gesture. 
The rest of my day I found myself being aware of people and smiling or saying hello to those I passed. Because, maybe, they were having a bad morning too and just needed a kind smile to turn it around.

Kindness...it is a strong and powerful gesture whether it is through "pleasant words" or kind actions.   Today let's put this Christmas devotion into action and take the time to notice those around us and spread a little kindness.  May God's Holy Spirit make this sweet fruit (Galatians 5:22-23) evident in our lives that it may have a ripple effect just like the policeman's act of kindness in my niece's story above. May our words be sweet like candy and give grace to others.





Hentet fra: 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Løvetannen Der står den – vissen, men staselig nedsunket av himmelens dråper men som en fager krans av grå hår av erfaring av levd li...